TMJ Treatment London
TMJ Disorder or Syndrome is a term used to describe temporomandibular disorders (TMD), which happen as a result of problems with the jaw, the joint and the surrounding facial muscles that control moving the jaw and chewing. The temporomandibular joint is the hinge joint that connects the lower jaw to the temporal bone of the skull. If you have been suffering with TMJ Disorder, and you are looking for an effective treatment, then TMJ Massage at Synergy Massage in London is the place for you! Read on for more information.
What are some of the common symptoms of TMJ Disorder?
There are several symptoms that are indicators one is experiencing temporomandibular joint disorder, including:
- Pain or tenderness in the face, jaw joint area, neck and shoulders, and in or around the ear when chewing, speaking, or opening the mouth wide
- Difficulty chewing as if the upper and lower teeth are not fitting together properly
- Jaws that get “locked” in the open- or closed-mouth position
- Limited motion to open the mouth wide
- Clicking, grating sounds or popping in the jaw joint when opening or closing the mouth
How can massage be an effective TMJ treatment?
While treating TMJ, our registered massage therapists will focus treatment on the reduction of tension in the masticatory (chewing) muscles, eliminating trigger points, the painful “knots” felt in the muscle that refer pain elsewhere, and releasing tension in the fascia tissue around the jaw area. Fascia is the tough, dense connective tissue that surrounds every muscle, nerve, bone, blood vessel and organ of the body. Some of the common massages that our massage therapist will use when treating TMJ include:
- Swedish Massage: While this is the most common and well-known massage, it has a number of benefits; a primary one being that of relaxation. Our massage therapists are experts in providing relaxation through a full-body Swedish massage can have a huge impact in reducing jaw tension, as stress contributes greatly to TMJ disorders.
- Neuromuscular Therapy: This technique involves our therapists applying pressure to trigger points in the jaw muscles to help relieve tension and return muscles to a relaxed state.
TMJ treatment is available at Synergy Massage in London. If you have been diagnosed with TMJ disorder, it is imperative that you contact our professional team today. Feel free to continue browsing through our website for more information. Click here to find our contact information and to fill out our contact form.