TMJ treatment at Synergy Massage
TMJ or Temporomandibular Joint Disorder is something many people suffer from without even knowing. If you suffer from inflammation and pain in and around the chewing muscles in your jaw, it may be TMJ. TMJ can infrequently arise in some, or cause chronic pain and prolonged suffering in others. Whichever the case, TMJ treatment at Synergy Massage can help you to overcome this disorder and get back to living a pain-free life.
The causation of TMJ is tricky, as the condition can be brought on by an array of problems, whether it is linked to stress fractures, an overbite or underbite, teeth grinding and clenching, or other possible conditions.
Essentially, the temporomandibular joint is the joint that hinges the jawbone and skill together. Covered by cartilage and separated by a small shock-absorbing disk, this joint disorder occurs when the disk erodes or is pushed out of alignment, or arthritis or an outside force damages the joint or cartilage. In many cases of TMJ, it is hard to pinpoint the exact causation of the problem.
Symptoms and Signs
- Pain in your jaw
- Pain in the temporomandibular joints (where your jawbone connects to your skull)
- Difficulty chewing or using jaw
- Experiencing lockjaw- being unable to open or close your mouth
- An aching pain within the ear or on the face
Visiting Synergy Massage for a TMJ treatment starts off discussing your symptoms and causes of the pain so that we can better understand how the disorder mainly affects you. It is our goal to rid you of these symptoms through our treatment so you can get back to a pain-free lifestyle. Our three main treatments are as follows:
- Kneading Massage: Our massage therapist will massage their fingers against the joints and muscles that are most affected. Using a constant, circular motion they can release the tension and pain held within.
- Friction Massage: Locating the mandible muscle, the lower portion of your jay, it is than rubbed down to stop the pain. This treatment has to be specific to the individual, as everyone’s pain receptors respond differently and our massage therapists will amend the pressure accordingly.
- Stretching Massage: Using the mandible muscle again, our massage therapists will teach you how to stretch the muscles properly in order to decrease pain and increase muscle strength and stop further problems from arising.
If the above symptoms align with your own, or the TMJ treatment sounds like something you are interested in, book an appointment with Synergy Massage today!